Getting solar installed is an achievement, and you should be proud to say your house is a solar-powered home, and while your system will save you money without you needing to do anything, there are certainly lots of ways to “Supercharge” the savings your solar panels provide.
The first suggestion I would make to anyone who really wants to make the most of their rooftop solar is monitoring, monitoring your solar usage and consumption is a fantastic way to get a clear picture of where you are doing well in regards to energy usage and where you could do better. The simplest form of monitoring would have to be reading the inbuilt screen on your inverter or using the wifi app that comes free with many inverters. Reading from the screen or using the built-in apps are ok methods of monitoring however it can make it difficult to get a clear picture of your energy production.
If you had a solar system installed by us you would have likely been told about the monitoring solution we like to offer called “Solar Analytics” this is an awesome tool that allows users to get live data from their house that will tell them exactly where, when and how your power is being generated and used. This information is extremely valuable when it comes to making the most of your solar because you are able to clearly see exactly when power is being generated and when it is being used. Solar Analytics also gives portal access to ourselves so we can keep a watchful eye over your system and make sure that everything is operating as intended.
Because the solar feed-in tariff is no longer 45c per KW solar owners need to switch the way they utilise their solar power. The most productive way to use your solar with today’s feed-in tariff is to use as much electricity as possible while it is being produced, for example, put the washing on a timer to wash/dry while you are work. See below for a list of other saving techniques:
- Install a timer on your hot water system to operate between 8am and 4pm
- Heat / Cool your home in the afternoon
- Change old halogen globes to energy-efficient L.E.D’s
- Set the timer on your pool pump to operate between 8am and 4pm
- Use energy-efficient appliances
- Stagger consumption (Don’t turn all appliances on at once)
Note: If it generates heat it usually uses a lot of power!
You most likely shopped around for the best solar installer to suit your needs (if you chose us we are very grateful), just like shopping around for solar installers you should definitely shop around for different energy retailers, we find a lot of our customers are with the same electricity provider they have been with for years and often do not realise that they have been sneakily putting up the prices of electricity without the customer realising.
There is no reward for loyalty when it comes to energy retailers, if you find a better deal ask them to match it or beat it and if they do not come to the party give them the flick.
Here are some important things to look for in an energy retailer:
- Daily Supply Charge: These can make up for a large portion of your electricity bill especially once you have had solar installed. If you are in the SE QLD region you want to look for prices certainly no higher than $1.20 per day.
- Feed-in Tariff (Between 11c & 20c): Your electricity usage habits will determine how important your feed-in tariff will be for you, if you are a family who is home a lot throughout the day then a high feed-in tariff would be less important compared to houses where no-one is home during the day. The reason being is if you are home all day you can use your solar as it is being produced rather than selling it back to the grid.
- Discount’s: Who doesn’t like a good discount? The good news for homeowners and tenants alike is that there are plenty of discounts to be found when searching for the right electricity deal. Some of the best deals I have found come in the way of a “Pay on Time” Discount, these can range from 15 – 30% off! Just make sure they are not making up for the discount by giving less than desirable supply charges, and tariffs.
We hope you enjoy your solar experience and if you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment below. If you are still looking for the right solar provider give us a call and we will happily arrange you an obligation free quote.